Here at The Waxologist one thing can be said about us and that is that NOTHING phases us! Haemorrhoids; Periods; ingrown hair…… the lot!
But we can surely say that we LOVE ingrown hairs…. Well, we don’t love you getting them but we sure do love removing them. And of course, helping to prevent them.
Ingrown hairs usually occur in areas where we would shave or wax i.e.. Armpits, beard, neck, legs, chest, pubic region… but they can appear anywhere.
Check out this video from YouTube of an ingrown hair being removed from a guy’s back:
Why do we get ingrown hair?
Ingrown hairs happen for several reasons:
- tight fitting clothing (leggings, tights, overalls, chef whites, cycling shorts)
- hair removal (waxing, shaving, depilatories)
- dry skin (lack of exfoliating)
- naturally curly hair
What symptoms occur with ingrown hairs?
- red bumps under the skin which can be very painful
- tiny black dots on the skin
- possible heat due to infection; if infection gets worse you could start to fell unwell.
How do we treat ingrown hair?
Here’s the fun bit for us!
We have a special tool which looks a bit like tweezers but the ends are like a hook. They are in fact specially made for acne but work in the same way with ingrown hairs. If there is a pore above the hair, the tool easily pushes through the pore with minimal discomfort and simply flicks the hair out of the pore. This takes a few seconds and we can remove most without the client even noticing.
If there is no pore present (this can happen if the hair has been pushed sideways and is growing straight under the skin rather than coiling) we would use a solution on the skin to exfoliate and encourage to hair to surface.
Our fave is ALOE CLEAR
Aloe clear is very effective in combatting horrible ingrown hairs, due to its antibacterial, exfoliating action and with a natural blend of moisturising Aloe Vera, soothing Mentha Piperita, Aloe Clear delivers the clearest, freshest skin possible after hair removal and also lifts pre-existing ingrown hairs to the surface…. We absolutely love it! We all use it and recommend it – you can buy it from us in the salon.
How can we prevent ingrown hair?
The best advice we can give you to prevent ingrown hairs is…. Follow our aftercare!!!!!
- exfoliating (prevents dry skin which can prevent the hair from growing through easily and instead coiling round and forming a large bump under the skin).
- moisturise (this again helps to soften the skin making it much easier for the hair to push through).
- wear loose clothing after hair removal and once regrowth starts.
- use Aloe Clear if you are prone to spots and ingrown hairs, as this will keep the skin clear and thoroughly exfoliate the skin.
I hope this blog on ingrown hairs can help you achieve the clear, smooth, hair free skin you desire.
We will see you at your next wax 😉