Laser Hair Removal: Before and Aftercare
How To Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
It’s important to follow this pre-treatment advice as preparing well is all part of the process for successful Laser Hair Removal.
- No waxing, plucking, or threading for at least 8 weeks BEFORE your appointment or between treatments.
- Do not expose the skin to UV or use self-tan for at least 4 weeks BEFORE your appointment or between treatments.
- Avoid intense exfoliation, microdermabrasion, or peels for at least 1 week BEFORE your appointment or between treatments.
- Do not use bleaching creams or perfumed products 24 – 48 hours BEFORE your appointment.
- Avoid swimming in strong chlorinated water immediately BEFORE your appointment.
- Use sun block SPF 30+ BEFORE your appointment but do not use sun blocking creams within 24 hours.
How To Get Ready for my Laser Hair Removal Appointment?
- Follow the advice on how to prepare for Laser Hair Removal and book your appointment accordingly.
- The area(s) being treated needs to be cleanly shaved 24 hours BEFORE each appointment. You will need to leave a small section (about the size of a 50p piece) of each treatment area unshaven. This allows your hair to be assessed and informs the strength of the laser required at each session.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes when attending treatment sessions. This allows more air to reach the skin and helps with the cooling process.
- You should wear loose, comfortable clothing on the area(s) treated and materials that will not itch, rub or catch. Cotton would be preferable. Lycra, tight denim or wool should be avoided.
What Happens after My Laser Treatment?
You may notice some swelling or some redness after treatment. It can be similar to how your skin responds to waxing. Hot and humid conditions can also aggravate skin immediately after treatment. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Mild swelling, redness and tenderness should last for no more than a week.
Of course, if you have any concerns, do get in touch. We endeavour to reply to any enquiries promptly and within 24 hours. You can get in touch by texting 07446 258509 or by emailing email@example.com.
If the treatment area shows signs of infection, profound redness, pus, increased swelling or tenderness, seek medical attention immediately.
How Do I Care for My Skin after Laser Hair Removal?
Caring for your skin after Laser Hair Removal is important to ensure you get the best results. We have put together some steps for caring for your skin after your treatment.
- Its important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Wear loose clothing for 24-48 hours after treatment to allow for skin cooling.
- Leave any temporary skin responses such as redness to subside naturally.
- If required use a cold compress or Aloe Vera gel to improve comfort or reduce any swelling or redness.
What Should I Avoid Doing after My Treatment?
Here is a list of don’ts to remember after your Laser Hair Removal. Refer to them often so that you are aware of what to avoid in the days after your treatment.
Follow for 48 Hours Post Treatment
- Avoid all heat treatments including hot baths, saunas, steam baths and hot showers.
- No swimming in strongly chlorinated water.
- Do not use bleaching creams.
- Avoid perfumed products e.g. soaps, creams or perfumes.
- Do not touch, pick, scratch or otherwise irritate the treated area.
Follow for 72 Hours Post Treatment
- Do not shave the area.
Follow for 1 Week Post Treatment
- Do not exfoliate the treated area or use any type of exfoliation peel.
Follow for 2 Weeks Post Treatment
- Do not use self-tan.
- Avoid UV exposure.
- Avoid waxing, plucking, threading (at all times during a course).
- Avoid depilation creams.
- Avoid prolonged outdoor activity that may expose the skin to a lot of wind or sun.
Follow for 4 Weeks Post Treatment
- Use sun protection SPF30+.
- Limit sun exposure and do not use tanning beds.